Monday, March 10, 2008

So tired....

I haven't blogged in forever. I'd like to say that's because I've been doing so many fabulous things and just haven't had the chance, but that's not actually the case. I don't know what my excuse is.

Let's see -- Emiko turned one. We had a few people over to celebrate, including Granny and Papa Fuji. So that was fun. Watching Emiko eat her cupcake was hilarious.

Todd's birthday was Sat (3/8) and Butternugget babysat for us. (Thanks, again!) We went to Uncommon Ground on Devon and had dinner and watched our friend James Curley and his band perform. That was a lot of fun, but I drank too much (two glasses of red wine) and so was ruined all day yesterday. It's amazing to me how my tolerance has changed so much. I used to be quite the partier, but it seems the universe thinks I should stop drinking. Since being pregnant with Emiko, I haven't had much to drink, but the few times I've gone out since her birth I've had a lot of fun, yet was completely shattered the next day. And moms don't get to be sick. Emiko doesn't care that I'm totally nauseated and exhausted and feel like crap.

School is still tough. I am having a really hard time feeling positive about my job. I do really like some of my students, but so many of them are just awful and it's so hard to focus on the few good kids when the assholes are so vocal and hard to ignore. I'm trying, though. It just gets harder every day. My students (freshmen) are reading a memoir called Hole in My Life, about a guy who spends time in jail for getting caught running drugs. It's a good book, and the author (Jack Gantos) is now a well-known children's author.

Anyway, I asked the kids to write down about the worst thing they've ever done in their lives, and the answers were not fun to read (I should have known better.) One kid wrote about stealing $1000 from his grandma. He didn't feel bad, but he got caught because he brought the cash to school and was showing off and a teacher turned him in. How can you steal from your grandma???

Another kid wrote about pulling a gun and holding it to the head of another kid to steal his stuff. That kid (who I do really like) feels bad and says he's learned his lesson. I recommended him for honors classes for next year (he's a great writer) and he was so excited and couldn't wait to tell his dad. So I really hope he'll stay on the right path. It's just hard to do that -- takes a lot of courage and no one is going to give him much support, I'm afraid.

OK, that's enough babbling for this week. Emiko and I are off to Arkansas Sat to visit the family. I'm nervous about traveling with her by myself (I wish I had four hands!), but I'm really excited to see everyone. And about eating hush puppies and catfish at the Catfish Hole. Plus ChickfilA, sweet tea, cheese dip. Fried chicken. It'll be awesome!!! I'm sure I'll have some adventures to share!

3 comments:

Alannah said...

I know it must be so hard to stay positive but you really ARE fighting the good fight. It makes me feel so good to know you're out there, in the trenches.

I can't wait to see you and Emiko! Want me to bring Rotel dip??

AMY said...

Please bring the Rotel! That would be awesome! I can't wait to see you!

And thank you for your kind words. I just don't know if it's worth it sometimes. I think spring break will help - being off for a few days.

Unknown said...

I want chick-fil-a! Have a great trip!