Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Poem-a-Week Challenge

California has been under Safer-at-Home guidelines since mid-March. I have been teaching my classes remotely, which has been a challenge. In an attempt to make school feel normal-ish, teachers have been offering activities students can do after school. I host dance parties every Friday after school.

One of my favorite coworkers, Suzanne, a fellow English teacher, hosts a Poem-a-Week Challenge. I have been attending. It has been wonderful! It has gotten me writing again, which is awesome. I thought I would start posting the poems I write here. (It has been so long since I've used this blog!)

This is the first poem I wrote for this challenge:


Closed by Amy Fujimoto

I’m dying to open the door.

Oh my God! Please let me open the door.

But I can’t open the door.

No one can knock on my door.

We have to stay in.

I want to go out. I want to throw open the door and burst out like confetti!

Social distancing.
Can’t go outside.
Can’t open the door.
Can’t visit my neighbor. My friends. My hair salon.

I guess I will open a window.

No comments: