Monday, January 28, 2008

Random Chitchat

February is a great month for Chicago Public School teachers, as we get President's Day and Lincoln's Birthday off. There's a professional development the day before Lincoln's Birthday. I love that. Yes yes, CPS has one of the shortest school years in the country, which certainly doesn't help our test scores, but if you met my students, you would want all the days off you could get.

School has been relatively uneventful in the last couple of weeks. No one has pulled the fire alarm lately. There haven't been any big fights. I don't know if it's just too cold or what. We thought today might be tough, since it was so warm out, but nothing happened. Could just be the calm before the storm.

I really love Barack-star, and I am getting increasingly annoyed with Bill Clinton. He is becoming quite crotchety in his old age. It's not a good look for him.

I can't believe Mitt Romney asked those black kids in Jacksonville, Florida, "Who let the dogs out." Oh my god what is wrong with him?

Last week I made my students (my sophomores) write a couple paragraphs using words like "John Stroger," "Hillary Clinton," "Barack Obama," and "Martin Luther King." I had to explain who everyone was, except for MLK.

And all my kids think that Barack Obama will be shot if he is the Democratic nominee for president. That seems to be their only opinion of him.

I got a new message tee for school that I wore today. It reads "Lit is Legit," which is a slogan I am especially proud of. Guess how many kids didn't know what "lit" meant? Sigh. . .

Emiko is all healthy and happy and is super close to walking. She's pretty hilarious. And now she's got four teeth -- her two front teeth are coming in. Barbecue ribs are in her future, I just know it!

The new Dolly video with Amy Sedaris is awesome -- I love Dolly so much! Todd and I have tix for her show next month. Another reason to look forward to February!!!

We had our first packzi of the season this morning. Yay!!!!! Life is good.

3 comments:

Pradeep Nair said...

Hi, I landed up on your blog while surfing. Good to meet an English teacher here. I found your posts well written and easy to read. If I hand't been a journalist I would have been a teacher: a very noble profession.... Unlike previous years, this year the Presidential election seem to be quite interesting.... Hope to come back to your blog....

AMY said...

That is so nice -- thank you! Check out my blog anytime. I try to keep it relatively entertaining!

I'm excited about the election -- I am more excited about Barack than any candidate in a long time. We'll see how it plays out.

Alannah said...

Glad to hear good news! And yes, I feel the same way about Obama too. It's snowing in Arkansas for the first time this winter!