Saturday, December 28, 2013

2013 Year in Review

So I wrote three blog posts in 2013. That is not very good. I hope to do better in 2014. We shall see. At any rate, here is a list that sums up my year fairly well, I think.

1. I turned 40 at the tail end of 2012 and celebrated that fact in Vegas in January of 2013.

2. I completed the Beach Cities Challenge: I ran the Surf City Marathon in February, the Orange County Marathon in May, and the Long Beach Marathon in October. When I finished the Long Beach Marathon, I stumbled up to the Beach Cities Challenge tent, only to be told that they were out of medals. You win a special fourth medal for completing the challenge. So that was disappointing. Todd let me wear his medal, and they mailed me my medal about a month later.

3. I spent some time at the beach, but not as much time as I should have. I will rectify that in 2014.

4. Still don't have a real job. I took an AmeriCorps VISTA position with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tustin. This was a terrible decision. I'll perhaps post about that later. Yet another poor decision of many poor career decisions in Orange County!

5. We took a family trip to Mountain View and San Francisco in July to visit Kyle and Fernando. Got to meet Todd's cousin Tai during that trip. It was super fun!

6. Todd and I got to spend a long weekend in Carefree, Arizona, outside Scottsdale, in March. It was so beautiful there. We got to visit with our friends Rich and Heather -- Rich is a college friend of mine, and with our Chicago friends Kerry and Matt. Kerry and Matt moved to AZ last December. Todd had won the trip from JetBlue before we moved out of Chicago. Since we didn't have to fly to Phoenix, they gave us vouchers and we drove to the resort -- the Boulders. The resort was amazing!

7. Todd and I went to a few concerts this year -- we saw Alkaline Trio, Quicksand, NOFX.

8. The kids keep getting bigger -- I don't know where the time goes!

9. Todd lost his job at Flavours. He hated that job, so it was for the best. He was laid off and the company was put up for sale. We just found out that the company closed its doors for good the week of Christmas, so the remaining employees lost their jobs right before Christmas. Todd was let go in September. He has a new job at Best Formulations -- the company was founded by his friend Eugene's dad. Eugene is one of his friends from Cornell. So Todd is back in the lab doing research and development, which he loves. He hated doing quality assurance. And he's making pharmaceuticals and nutritional supplements, not working solely in food, so he's learning new things, too. Win win!

10. I didn't get to go home to Arkansas this past summer, which made me very sad. I'm homesick! I told Todd we are going to Arkansas summer of 2014 no matter what!

11. We went to New York twice, for two different weddings! In June we went to our friends' Phil and Alix's wedding, and in November we went back for our friend Josh's wedding. Both trips were super fun! Phil's wedding was great, because we got to see some of our Chicago friends like Evan, Sharada, and Rebecca. And Josh's wedding gave us the chance to visit with some of Todd's friends from high school (and Rebecca met up with us, too). We spent one night with our friend Tracy and got to meet her two adorable daughters.

Tomorrow is my 41st birthday. Good lord. We are going to the Getty Villa to meet up with my friend Juliet, who I haven't seen since May of 1994! She was one of my rugby girls when I spent my junior year abroad in Scotland. I can't wait to see her!

OK, so that's all I can think of for now. I am truly going to try to blog more in 2014 -- if only to help me keep track better of what I am up to!

Next post will be my 2014 resolutions -- always a crowd pleaser!

1 comment:

Alannah said...

AMY!!!! I love you and was so happy to get your beautiful holiday card. This was a good idea - rounding up 2013. Good idea for those of us who aren't on FB and never get to see or talk to you.

So glad Todd is doing work he loves. I know that's coming next for you. I know it. Just like I know it's happening for me too.

I'd love to hear more about the kids. Can I request post subjects? You can request some for me too, if you want. I'd love to hear what Emiko is in to - if she has friends, what her relationship with Hideo is like.

Are you happy to be living in CA? I'm staying put in AR for the time being. I want to, but also have to - my grandmother gave me power of attorney and I have more responsibility where she is concerned. But eventually maybe I'll want to move away too. The longer I stay in AR the more secure I feel in knowing it's good for people to stay sometimes, and to help bring about change from the inside of places like this. Know what I mean?

So glad we're both posting again. We need it!

Happy Birthday my beautiful friend!